Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Putty based Faux Pas and a new puppet

Good afternoon!

I am currently swamped with work, but in my efforts to multi-task I have started a new puppet based on my character designs for Baba Yaga. In the spirit of 'experimentation' I decided to work with a latex face, and so I needed to make a plaster mould. Needless to say, this is not without it's own set of problems.
I have become very fond of epoxy putty (despite the stench) and chose to work on top of a paper mache base so as to hopefully eradicate the need to use alginate and work on the face of a real person.






'Hurrah', I thought, 'let's get you into a plaster mould'. Alas, my joy was short lived because I ran out of plaster halfway through filling the tub. I managed to get hold of some more plaster, and allow the mould to set but I did not predict this...



Oh no! The nose was stuck fast. So it was time for Plan B. Something I could easily peel out and that wouldn't set. Plasticine!



The image above doesn't depict the very end mould, but let me assure you that it actually works and disaster has been averted. Now it is time for a hand soak, because all of that moulding has taken its toll on my thumbs!

More to come soon (and never fear, I'll reveal all about the post below this week).

TTFN
xx

1 comment:

 
Free Hit Counter